Skip to content

Baby Health Insurance California Question & Answers

2013 December 19
by Sarah Fields

John asks…

Health insurance with maternity coverage?

So, i live in california and my husband and I plan to have a baby. Since we are not qualified for state help, I need to be insured before I get pregnant. How do I apply for that? And we are just a little bit over the poverty limit income, so I am afraid I will not be covered. If I don’t work, can I still apply for maternity insurance? My husband will be paying for it. :( im worried… Thabk you for all responses.

Sarah Fields answers:

The one thing that you absolutely do not do is to “apply” for it.

If your husband works for a company that offers health insurance (with maternity coverage) to its employees and their spouses, then you have your husband put both him and you on his employer’s health insurance (with maternity coverage).

If you cannot get it through your husband’s employer, then it is best not to get it at all.

If you apply for it any other way, and get pregnant in less than a year, then you will not be able to use it for that pregnancy. You will have to pay, in full, for everything for that pregnancy, the same as if you had no insurance, except that you will also have to pay for the insurance that you cannot use, because maternity coverage only covers pregnancies that start more than a year after you get the insurance.

If you take more than a year to get pregnant, then you can use it, but it will cost you more than it is worth. You will have to pay for the health insurance with maternity coverage for more than a year before you get pregnant, and for the time that you are pregnant, and the total cost of paying for health insurance with maternity coverage for all that time will be more than it would have cost you to pay for health insurance without maternity coverage and then pay for the pregnancy/maternity bills yourself, without using insurance.

Ken asks…

I am 14 and I am looking for a work permit I live in Diamond Springs, CA 95619 any help?

I am 14 and live in Diamond Springs CA near Placerville and I am looking for a work permit. I would like to know if anyone can tell me where to find work for a 14 year old and where to find a work permit.

Sarah Fields answers:

Your high school will have the application, and following is information you will want to know regarding this:

If federal laws, state laws and school district policies
conflict, the more restrictive law (the one most
protective of the employee) prevails.
· Generally, minors must attend school until age 18 unless
they are 16 years or older and have graduated from high
school or received a state Certificate of Proficiency.
· Employers of minors required to attend school must
complete a “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and
Request for Work Permit” (form B1-1) for the school
district of attendance for each such minor.
· Employers must retain a “Permit to Employ and Work”
(form B1-4) for each such minor.
· Work permits (B1-4) must be retained for three years and
be available for inspection by sanctioned authorities at
all times.
· A work permit (B1-4) must be revoked whenever the
issuing authority determines the employment is illegal or
is impairing the health or education of the minor.
Minors under the age of 18 may not work in
environments declared hazardous or dangerous for young
workers as listed below:
1. Explosive exposure
2. Motor vehicle driving/outside helper
3. Coal mining
4. Logging and sawmilling
5. Power-driven woodworking machines
6. Radiation exposure
7. Power-driven hoists/forklifts
8. Power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing
9. Other mining
10. Power-driven meat slicing/processing machines
11. Power-baking machines
12. Power-driven paper products/paper bailing machines
13. Manufacturing brick, tile products
14. Power saws and shears
15. Wrecking, demolition
16. Roofing
17. Excavation operation
For more complete information about hazardous occupations,
contact the U.S. Department of Labor (Child Labor Bulletins
101 and 102) and the California Department of Industrial
Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Regional offices are located in several California cities. They
are listed in the “Government Listings” sections of telephone
· Minors younger than 16 years are allowed to work only
in limited, specified occupations that exclude baking,
manufacturing, processing, construction, warehouse, and
transportation occupations.
· In addition to safety regulations, labor laws applicable to
adult employees also generally apply to minor
employees, including workers’ compensation insurance
· Child labor laws do not generally apply to minors who
deliver newspapers or work at odd jobs, such as yard
work and baby-sitting, or in private homes where the
minor is not regularly employed.
· A day of rest from work is required if the total hours
worked per week exceed 30 or if more than 6 hours are
worked on any one day during the week.
Ages Hours of Work
16 – 17 When school is in session: Daily maximum of 4
hours, Monday through Thursday. May work up
to 8 hours on any non-school day or on any day
that precedes a non-school day. May be
permitted to work up to 48 hours per week.
Students in Work Experience Education or
cooperative vocational education programs may
be permitted to work a maximum of 8 hours on a
school day.
When school not in session: May work up to 48
hours per week but no more than 8 hours in any
one day.
Work must be performed no earlier than 5 a.m.
Or later than 10 p.m. Except that work may
extend to 12:30 a.m. On nights preceding nonschool
days. Students in Work Experience
Education or cooperative vocational education
programs may be authorized to work until 12:30
a.m. On nights preceding school days with
specified written permission.
14 – 15 When school is in session: On school days daily
maximum 3 hours. On non-school days may
work 8 hours. Weekly maximum of 18 hours.
Students in Work Experience Education and
career exploration programs may work up to 23
hours per week.
When school is not in session: Daily maximum 8
hours and weekly maximum 40 hours.
May not work during public school hours except
students in Work Experience Education or career
exploration programs.
Work must be performed no earlier than 7 a.m.
Nor later than 7 p.m. Any day of the week. From
June 1 to Labor Day work hours may be
extended to 9 p.m.
Younger Labor laws generally prohibit nonfarm
than 14 employment of children younger than 14. Special
rules apply to agricultural work, domestic work
and the entertainment industry.

As you see, it IS permitted for 14 year olds, in certain circumstances. See the school’s Guidance Counselor for local ideas where to apply, once you receive the permit.

Lizzie asks…

Taking maternity leave in California – delivering baby in another state?

I live and work in California. My mother live is Florida. She is going to be a huge help with the newborn and I’d like to go to Florida as soon as I can get a maternity leave through my job and deliver my baby there.
I’m not a Florida resident…I’ll be there just to deliver my baby and until the baby can fly back to Cali. Will I have complications when i apply for the California maternity leave? – Although I still live and pay my taxes here?!

Sarah Fields answers:

How are you planning on getting from California to Florida? Most airlines will not accept someone so pregnant on their flights, and your doctor will not give you the ok to go either that late in pregnancy.

Not only that, if you have health insurance, you are going to have difficulty jumping through your insurance company’s hoops in order to get your birth covered in another state. If you are on state insurance (I believe it is called Medi-Cal), they will not cover you out of the state. That means that you will likely be on the hook for thousands of $$ in hospital and doctor’s bills.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Leave a Reply

Note: You may use basic HTML in your comments. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS