Skip to content

Baby Health Insurance California Question & Answers

2013 August 6
by Sarah Fields

Laura asks…

I am 14 weeks pregnant and just moved to California and found out that my Aetna health insurance doesn’t cover?

My insurance doesn’t cover pregnancy for individual plans. I have too much money to be covered by medi-cal and Aim requires at least 6 months of residency to be covered. I can afford health care but no one will cover me now. Do I have any other options?

Sarah Fields answers:

Most OB’s and hospitals have discounted rates for prenatal care and delivery. Call your OB and the hospital you will be delivering at and ask. Best to check early since some may require that the fees be paid prior to or at delivery. You will also need to ask about the cost of the well baby check (and if a male baby, circumcision) done by the pediatrician in the hospital and the cost of an epidural.

Your other option is to get a job with group coverage. Pregnancy cannot be considered preexisting with a group coverage.

Lizzie asks…

How much aid money will the Octuplets receive?

What will the Octuplets mom with 14 children receive in california through aid to family with dependant children money per month.
Yes, California Bankrupt, wait till Arnold finds out she is not married.
Knowing just what one person gets from being on ssi, which this is NOT, its aid to family with dependant children, she may get 10,000.dollars a months. Help , what is the answer.I agree , pretty disgusting .

Sarah Fields answers:

It depends on the mother’s income, and in the state of California, after a certain number of children the amount of money starts dwindling so it is no longer an added “benefit” for each extra child you give birth to as it used to be in the past. However, if these children develop disabilities (cerebral palsy, mental retardation, learning disabilities, etc), which many underweight/at risk babies do, one or more of them may qualify for lifelong supplemental security income (SSI). This does not include the medical benefits (Medi-Cal in California) that they are probably receiving. Mom WAS supposedly almost finished with her college degree in counseling, but I do not picture her going to work in the foreseeable future, let alone any reputable therapeutic agency hiring her given her notoriety (read: her “ethics”), nor that agency providing health insurance for her AND her FOURTEEN youngsters. Excuse me. I’m going to go throw up now…

Maria asks…

How do you become a nurse?

I am in 11th grader in California searching for the answer of how do you become a nurse. I need the whole thing, what to study in college, what to major in, what schools to attend I have no idea at this point and Id like to know what it take. thanks for the help.

Sarah Fields answers:

You can go to a community college and get an associate degree to become an LVN. An LVN works under the supervision of an RN, and therefore makes less money.

You can also go to a community college and get an associate degree to become an RN.
Doesn’t make sense does it?

Or you can go to a four year college and get a bachelor degree to become an RN. Both RN’s make the same salary, and most places will hire either one, but the RN with the associate degree will only be able to do floor nursing while the RN with the bachelor degree can move up to Head Nurse, Director of Nursing, do research, do consulting, manage a home health clinic, be manager of a health insurance company, or be a pharmaceutical manager, all of which pay considerably more.

If you choose the 4 year degree you obviously need to enroll in a college that has a nursing program.
The first two years you’ll take the basic courses that everyone takes – math, English, history, science, etc. Mid year of your second year you’ll apply to the nursing program. Your grades will be reviewed and if they see you as a good candidate you will be accepted into the program. Your third year you’ll have classroom work. The last year will be hands on. You’ll practice taking temps, taking blood pressure, drawing blood from your classmates, and inserting IV’s. You’ll have clinicals at the hospital where you’ll observe and work under the direct supervision of an RN, who will grade you. You’ll observe everything from a baby’s birth to open heart surgery, breast implants, knee replacement to an amputation. When you graduate you’ll be prepared to work in any department of the hospital.
Once you graduate you’ll study for and take the NCLEX which is an exam you must pass to get your license to work as an RN.

Both the 2 year and the 4 year school will advise you as to what subjects to take. Once you enter the nursing program at the 4 year school you will go through the program as a class with all the other students doing the same thing as the same time.

Good luck on whichever path you decide on. You can email me if you have any other questions.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Leave a Reply

Note: You may use basic HTML in your comments. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS