Skip to content

Health Insurance California For Students Question & Answers

2015 September 14
by Sarah Fields

Ruth asks…

Short Term health care insurance plan in California?

I am looking to get insurance for a short period of time – 2 months. Which plan and provider be appropriate ?
I am currently a student.

Sarah Fields answers:

It depends are you a student? State Farm and other big companies do have short term student medical.

You can also try Blue Cross or Blue Shield.

Betty asks…

My brother can not afford any health insurance because he’s a student, what can he do?

He’s 24 years old and lives in California.
If he gets cancer or some type of illness that takes months to treat, will the hospitals or clinics treat him even though he doesn’t have money?
Can he file for bankruptcy if his bill gets into the hundreds of thousands?

Sarah Fields answers:

Tell “”all “” he people which are against univeral healthcare

Ken asks…

How much would it cost to go to university in America as a Scottish student?

I am a third year student from Scotland currently working towards my Standard Grade exams. I am fourteen and have been seriously considering what I would like to pursue as a career. For a while, I hoped to study Psychology in Edinburgh but after a lot of thought I realised, that’s not what I really want to do with my life. Ever since I was a child, I have wanted to move to New York and over the past few weeks, I have decided that it is truly what I want to do. I was wondering if anyone knew possible fees for colleges or universities in New York that offer Television/Radio as a course. I know it may seem a little soon to be making life choices, but I am hoping to leave school in fifth year and hopefully move to New York by the time I am 18. It seems a little ambitious but I am determined to do this and would appreciate any help or advice given.

Sarah Fields answers:

Cool that you’re interested in studying in America – it’s a great place to study for Brits (including Scottish students!), so definitely do it if you can. A few things to point out:

1. You can’t study just one course as an undergraduate student at a US university – eg, you couldn’t apply to New York University to study TV or Psychology or anything. You just apply to the uni in general, and they accept you or not depending on how good your application is. If you’re accepted, then you take a degree called “Liberal Arts” – this means that in your first two years, you study a wide range of subjects, including a few minor compulsory courses in things like English, Maths, Science. But this gives you WAY more choice and flexibility than British unis, as well as meaning you don’t have to limit yourself to one thing. In your second two years you get to study one subject of your choice in more depth, but you can still take a few courses in other things on the side if you want. Remember, all US uni degrees are four years, not three.

2. US unis are expensive. A top uni will charge international students between $40 and $60 grand per year – normally this includes fees (ie it includes room and board, health insurance etc).
BUT- you CAN get financial aid to help you cover these costs. Do not believe anyone who says otherwise. Roughly 10,000 British students go to American unis every year, and most of them couldn’t afford the full fees.

American universities offer LOADS of financial aid – at many unis 80% or more of students receive aid. The problem is, lots of US unis don’t offer aid to international students. But lots of them do! So you have to check their websites very carefully and find out which ones offer aid to international students and which don’t. The aid comes in two forms – it might be needs-based aid, which means they’ll give it to you if you show that your family can’t afford the fees (there is often tough competition for this aid, meaning that it’s harder to get accepted and you have to have a better application than normal if you want to receive such aid) – or it might be merit-based aid (ie scholarships), which are awarded if you are particularly good at academics, sports, music or whatever. It’s worth doing a lot of research into what unis will offer what kind of aid to international students.

3. If you want to get into a really great uni like NYU or Columbia, you need a great application – this means great exam results but also loads of extra-curricular stuff to show you’re well-rounded (things like drama, debating, volunteering, D of E, sports or anything else that makes you more interesting than the normal applicant). So try and do as much of this as you can while at school, but also try and get your grades as good as possible. You’ll also have to take an American exam – either the SAT or the ACT – which are basically reasoning tests, not as hard as A Level. You need to do well on these too, so work hard at them.

4. New York is a great city, obviously! But don’t be blind to anywhere else in America. If you go to other awesome cities, like Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and loads more, you’ll get a very similar experience and you might find a uni that is better suited to you. As mentioned, NYU and Columbia are considered the best in New York, but you could also look at other great unis there such as Barnard (girls only) and Hunter College (and many others). If you’re keen to do TV/film/radio, you should start searching for universities that offer great media courses. NYU is famous for this, which is nice – but you could also look at University of Southern California (in Los Angeles) for example. (I can’t think of other examples but there are loads). But remember, if you go to any of these places, you won’t JUST be studying TV. Also consider looking for unis where there are very active student film clubs and/or student radio stations for you to get involved with. Consider getting some experience of TV/radio while you’re still at school – this will look great on your application!

There’s way more info on applying to the US from the UK at – also check out the free forum where you can ask any question you want and get answers from the experts:

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Leave a Reply

Note: You may use basic HTML in your comments. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS